LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:22:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:19:26 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6903 Lab in transition, suggestions?

------------------
One word: Flat screen monitors.
Well, that's three words. But we are still using our 1987 vintage audio
booths, with plastic glued over the player holes, computers down by the
students' knees (unfortunately they tend to sling their backpacks against
the off button) and flat screen monitors. Students come in, take one look,
and say "Wow! this is a great lab! so this is where our taxes are going, etc."

If you need more room in each booth and between rows, that's great, but you
will probably not get the room for students to work on the desks unless you
use the flat screens. I believe that we got them at a good price when we
ordered the computers.

Judy Shoaf
University of Florida