LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:52:39 EST
--- Forwarded Message from Marybeth Lavrakas <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:05:33 -0500
>From: Marybeth Lavrakas <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: CALL FOR PAPERS Int'l Business, Language & Technology conference

INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS, LANGUAGE & TECHNOLOGY: NEW SYNERGIES, NEW TIMES
(CIBER 2003 Language Conference)
April 2 $F6 5, 2003   Miami, FL
SUBMISSIONS DUE 1/31/03

The 2003 CIBER Languages Conference will concentrate on 3 content areas:

(1) Language, Communication and Culture:  This area focuses on the use
and teaching of language, communication, as well as culture for business
and the professions. Topics are myriad, but include for example: new
course design and development, different ways of teaching business
language, communication blunders, cross-cultural studies, case studies,
interdisciplinary programs, study abroad programs, internships, grant
writing, strategic partnerships, among others.

(2) Technology as a Tool: In the last few years, technological tools
have exploded on the learning scene, and have direct impact on all
aspects of language delivery. Topics here are diverse, but might include
the use of the Internet 2 (I2), e-business, distance learning, and
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and how these new
technologies help or hinder learning.

(3) International Business and Emerging Issues: As the professions
become more $E3international" in focus and borders disappear, new issues
emerge. These include a resurgence of less commonly taught languages,
the relationship of e-commerce and foreign languages, how 9/11 has
altered our collective headsets regarding languages, the recruitment of
students, partnerships with other institutions, among other topics.

Although Languages dominate the conference, technology as an enabling
force will be highlighted, as will the focus on emerging issues in
International Business and the professions.

Paper Presentations:  Each paper chosen for presentation should be a
15-20 minute presentation, distilled from the paper submission.  Ideally
the papers will not exceed 40 pages in length, and the Chairperson of
the session will inform each presenter in advance as to the session
format. Audience interaction is stressed here. The format can be Power
Point-driven, or with handouts.

Symposia or Panels: Each symposium or panel chosen will be either 90 or
120 minutes in duration. The final half hour should ideally be for
audience interaction.  As you frame your symposium submission, please
cast it for wide audience appeal, which might include speakers from
different institutions, and controversial topics.

Pre-Conference Workshops: Workshops lasting all day, or for a duration
of several hours are welcome at the Pre-Conference. Here the focus is on
intensive training on topics, skills and program development. For
example, a day long session could be devoted to developing and teaching
a business language course, where the participants are given materials
and through a very hands-on approach, deal with common start-up issues.
Similarly, identifying funding sources may stimulate the audience. The
design and development of interdisciplinary programs of study, which
combine business and/or professional training with language and cultural
instruction, are likely to be stimulating. In general, these workshops
will span a wide array of topics on languages, business training,
cross-cultural issues that enhance international business communication,
study-abroad programs, internship programs, intercultural disasters and
how to avoid them, and using technology wisely to improve language
absorption.

For more information please contact: Florida International University $F6
CIBER Phone: 305-348-1740 l   Fax: 305-348-1789E-mail: [log in to unmask] and
Visit us at http://www.fiu.edu/~ciber

Hosted by Florida International University Center for International
Business Education and Research, and cosponsored by multiple CIBERs
nationwide.

Message forwarded by Marybeth Lavrakas, Duke CIBER Conference
Coordinator
919-660-7837