LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 15:22:25 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Carroll Hightower <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:29:41 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Carroll Hightower <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Quia materials for Spanish textbook

------------------

Hi, everyone! I wonder if any of y'all can help us out here. In our
department we have been using the elementary Spanish textbook "Sabias
que...?" (third edition) for some time now, along with workbook exercises
in electronic format.  Currently we are using Mallard to deliver these
exercises via the Web to about 800 students of Spanish; now McGraw-Hill,
the publisher of "Sabias que...?" plans to offer the materials in
electronic workbook format through the Quia website.  I am familiar with
Quia as a site where you can design your own exercises, but was wondering
if anyone else out there had any experience using textbook materials
offered for purchase and use through Quia.  Currently we run our own
Mallard server on campus, and therefore can offer students a rapid
response time to problems and issues. We wonder what it would be like to
have these materials reside on an off-campus server, what Quia's support
is like, about privacy issues, etc.  Currently only one other McGraw-Hill
textbook, "Vistazos," has a similar workbook offered through Quia.  I'm
also aware of a Heinle and Heinle book, "Plazas," that has accompanying
Quia materials.  I'd be interested in any experiences you could share with
me.  We want to ensure that our students have the best experience possible
with these materials!

Thanks so much in advance for your time,

Carroll

Carroll Hightower
Director
Language Resource Center