LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:51:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:02:41 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6914 Language lab design question

------------------
We have a wonderful room with computers around 3 walls, instructor station,
and tables in the middle (with rolly chairs to move from computer to
table). The tables were custom built (those were the days!)--they are quite
narrow and also light, so they can be moved into a big rectangle or into
rows, or even moved aside.
The instructors didn't like at first the configuration but they grew to
enjoy it. When the students are facing the teacher they are not distracted
by computer screens, but when they are working on the computers the
instructor can walk around and see what they are doing. It is less suitable
for a traditional audio lab, though, because you can't see the students'
faces as they practice pronunciation.
The bad news is that the room is very large. You can get your estimate by
figuring how much wall you need to take up to line them with computers. I
suppose one could use most of the 4 walls if one isn't needed for a
projector station.

Judy