LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:51:50 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 17:44:41 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>, Lee Forester <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6914 Language lab design question

The u-shaped computer layout, with computers against the walls of the
classroom/lab on three sides, is my favorite layout for a computer
classroom.  It makes access to the computers easier, particularly for
mobility impaired students.  It provides the best line of sight for
the students to watch the teacher, and vice versa.  It is relatively
quick for the teacher to move to a specific student, or to observe
what is on each student's computer screen.  These factors make it
easier to keep students on task and to provide effective help.

When you refer to "desk chairs" in the middle, I am imagining the
type of chairs with an attached (often foldable) writing surface.  If
this is what you mean, I would argue against it.  These chairs can't
be used comfortably at the computer, and having one chair for
computer work, and another for "regular" class work wastes space and
money.  Our most successful lab has swivel chairs with high quality
casters.  These allow students to quickly pivot their attention from
computer to teacher to room center, and to roll their chairs for pair
work or other flexible arrangements.  The decrease in noise as
students move their chairs, compared to chairs without casters, was
an unexpected but significant benefit.

We argued against the large central work table that was favored by
some teachers in the planning discussions.  We opted for foldable,
removable tables.  As expected, all the teachers prefer having clean
open space in the middle of the classroom, and we almost never get a
request to set up the tables.  Students do their "regular" work in a
circle or in small groups, while sitting in their swivel chairs, with
no writing surfaces, other than their notebooks and laps.  We have
not had complaints.  Tasks that require extensive writing are not
likely to need as much interaction, so students can use the surfaces
next to the computers.  Your usage and teaching tasks may be
different, but I suggest that you consider retaining maximum
flexibility, and experiment with leaving the middle of the floor
open.

Given that you want space for 25 students, the size of the room will
be governed by how much width you give to each work station.  If you
can spare four feet of width per student, it is much easier for two
students to work together on the same computer.  This kind of
collaborative learning can be very effective for some pedagogy.  Some
labs have as little as 28" per station, but I think of 36" as a
minimum.  The number of square feet needed depends on how you lay out
the room.  A 36' square room could accommodate 25 student computers
comfortably, with space for a teacher's station at the front.  This
room would have 1296 sq ft, a little over the 1200 sq ft that you
envision.  Changing the dimensions of the room to 40' by 25' would
let you put the same number of computers in 1000 sq ft.  If you can
work with a trapezoidal shape to the room, you can cut the sq ft even
further.  You will have to experiment with your design.

We find it essential to have some work stations available for
students when a class is in session.  The more your computer lab is
used as a classroom, the more you need an additional space for
drop-in students to do their work.  Even two extra computers can be a
big help.  Three or four would be better.  It depends on the kinds of
assignments given and the language learning software which you have
available.

There is never enough storage space.  Design some in, if possible.
Flexibility, storage and room for expansion would be three things
that I would strive for in any installation.  Of course, there are
always compromises and limitations.

Good luck,

Derek

> --- Forwarded Message from Lee Forester <[log in to unmask]> ---

> Now a further question on the actual space: I'm currently
> envisioning having a single teaching lab in that the whole lab can
> be used to host an entire class (and probably will be during most
> times in the morning and early afternoon). As such I want it to be
> able to function both as a 25-station computer lab (individual and
> pair work on projects, not paired dialogs or anything) AND have
> enough room for 'regular' class work, i.e. lecture, discussion,
> small groups etc. Carleton has a nice room like this for about 20 I
> think, I'd like one for 25. I imagine the best arrangement would be
> computers along the walls with either desk chairs or perhaps small
> tables/chairs in the middle.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]