LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:51:48 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:34:58 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6909.1 Quia materials for Spanish textbook (!)

Without regard to Quia specifically, we are loathe to base any
high-volume teaching element on a remote server.  Today, we had the
second consecutive day of intermittent slow and non-existent web
access, due to large scale denial of service attacks.  I understand
that this current attack has nation-wide impact.

One day without reliable net access could affect more than sixty
language sections/classes for us, if we were to rely on a remote
server.  Losing two days would have a severe impact on following the
syllabus.  Since massive denial of service attacks on the internet as
a whole are increasingly common, it is risky to make remote web
access a major part of class content.

Derek

> --- Forwarded Message from "Jon Aske" <[log in to unmask]> ---
> ------------------
> My colleagues and I at Salem State reviewed the Quia workbook and
> lab manual for Plazas (H&H) and were not overwhelmed by it.
> Although excited at first by the possibility we soon came down to
> earth and came to the conclusion that this new delivery method
> wasn't ready for prime time and that it was probably more trouble
> than it was worth.  We didn't see anything gained by going with
> Quia as opposed to the paper and pencil method.  At least not
> enough to make up for what was lost and the trouble it created for
> correcting or checking the work.  I know this is just an
> impressionistic and not well-documented answer but I offer it for
> what it's worth.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]