LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 14:52:40 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Rob Reynolds <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:44:19 -0500
>From: Rob Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6909 Quia materials for Spanish textbook
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Carroll,

I've used the Quia materials with Plazas and have also used Quia for
some time as a supplement to other language and non-language courses.
I have found their materials, support, and general infrastructure to be
outstanding.  Their java-based applications are bandwidth-friendly
(many of my students have used this over a phone modem quite
successfully) and their response to user needs has been outstanding.
And, lest I sound like too much of a homer regarding hosted
applications, let me add that this has not been my experience with
other companies offering hosted applications.  Quia's advantage is that
most of the employees are ex-Oracle workers and their database
structures are efficient and very robust.

I have been happy enough with their product that, back when budgets
were good, I even considered hiring them to provide an alternative
course management system for our university.  Hope this helps.

Rob Reynolds, Ph.D.
Director, IT User Services
University of Oklahoma
(405) 613-5319