LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:17:35 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Claire M. Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:28:05 -0500 (CDT)
>From: "Claire M. Bartlett" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Job Announcement

------------------
Could you please post the following job announcement. Thank you.
Claire
Rice University

Director, Center for the Study of Languages

Rice University invites applications for a full-time, five-year renewable
term as Director of the Center for the Study of Languages (CSL) with a
non-tenured faculty appointment in the School of the Humanities to begin
July 1, 2003.

The CSL is responsible for a three-year sequence of proficiency-oriented
instruction leading to the "advanced" level in eleven languages. See
http://humanities.rice.edu/depts.cfm?doc_id=1426 for a statement outlining
the guidelines for language instruction at Rice. In its five years of
existence, it has established a strong presence in the areas of
proficiency-oriented pedagogy, computer assisted language learning and the
integration of new technologies in the curriculum, web-based proficiency
testing in the four modalities, and multicultural learning.  We seek
candidates with interest and expertise in these specialties.  The Language
Resource Center (LRC) specializes in the application of technology to
language instruction. The director of the LRC currently serves as
associate director of the CSL and reports to the CSL director.

The primary duties of the director include the supervision of 26 lecturers
and 5 staff members, and the management of a substantial budget. A Ph.D.
in any of the languages taught at Rice (see http://www.langcenter.rice.edu
for information), Second Language Acquisition, or other related areas of
Applied Linguistics, as well as strong teaching experience are required.
Strong administrative, organizational, and interpersonal skills are
critical. Send letter of application, vita, and three letters of
recommendation, to, chair, CSL Search Committee, MS 36, Rice University,
6100 Main Street, Houston, TX 77005. Applications must be received by
November 15, 2002. Rice University is an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer.  Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

Claire Bartlett
Director, Language Resource Center                      Voice:  (713)  348-6156
Assoc. Dir., Center for the Study of Languages          LRC: (713) 348-6157
120 Rayzor Hall, MS 37                                  fax:  (713) 348-6168
Rice University                                         [log in to unmask]
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005-1892                          http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~lrc