LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:24:17 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jo:rg Waltje" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:08:57 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: "Jo:rg Waltje" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6901 Audio in on e-Macs

------------------

Hello Dan and fellow LLTIers:

Yep, it is a problem we experience, too.  Apple claimed that the emac gives us back what we asked for in (higher) education. However, the audio-jack is really just a line-in.  Unless you have an amplified source, it will not register.  The only way out (to my knowledge):  USB microphone headsets.  That means, replacing your old headsets if you need an external microphone.  Apple Tech support now does admit that the jack does not work with regular, un-amplified microphones.

Best regards,   Jörg Waltje

---------------------
Dr. Jörg Waltje
Director LRC
Ohio University
Gordy Hall 17 D
Athens, Ohio 45701 (USA)

Ph: (740) 593-2748
Fax: (740) 593-0729
---------------------

>--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---
>
>>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:08:10 -0400 (EDT)
>>From: [log in to unmask]
>
>.edu; Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:43:59 -0400 (EDT)
>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:45:11 -0400
>From: Dan Soneson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: eMac and external microphone
>To: [log in to unmask]
>
>Has anyone had any luck using a regular microphone with the audio-in
>minijack in
>the new eMac? Apple claims that this jack accomodates a microphone, but
>I have
>so far been unable to get it to work. The installed system is Jaguar
>(OSX 10.2), but it does
>not register microphone input in OSX and OS9.2. I can get it to work
>with a line connection
>from an external tape recorder, but that's it.
>
>I'd like to use one of those nifty ugly Califone headsets with the
>machine, but if it doesn't
>accept a standard microphone, I'm out of luck.
>
>I know that the eMac has a built-in microphone, but I am interested in
>filtering out as much
>ambient noise as possible, hence the desire for a headset.
>

>Daniel B. Soneson
>Director, Language Lab
>Southern CT State University

Dr. Jörg Waltje