LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:24:08 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:59:49 -0500
>From: "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6900 webzine template inquiry
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I've done a similar project, except with only one class here on campus.  Here are my
thoughts.

Avoid Word as HTML if you can.  It tends to insert a lot of junk code that may or may
not allow your pages to work.  If you must use Word, you can run it through DW first
using their command Clean up Word HTML and that will take care of *most* problems.

I would recommend having someone spend some time creating a template in DW with only
certain areas that are edit-able by the students.  If the templates are done well,
the students shouldn't have any problems.

I also recommend having a comprehensive site design before setting them lose.  Try to
know about how many different branches of the site you will have, how many pages each
branch will have so that you can help the students name the files appropriately.

And I guarantee that you will need someone to act as HTML checker and general
troubleshooter.  Perhaps this can be an experienced student or TA, but the students
should have someone they can go to with the pages that they can't fix.

my two cents,
carly

Carly J. Born, Carleton College
Academic Computing Coordinator for Foreign Languages & Literature
[log in to unmask] | 507-646-7010 | www.carleton.edu

LLTI-Editor wrote:
> --- Forwarded Message from "Meechan, Philomena" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>

>>Subject: webzine template inquiry
>>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 12:42:58 -0400
>>From: "Meechan, Philomena" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>

> Dear colleagues,
> Would anyone have a recommendation for a web-magazine template for students to use in creating a collaborative webzine?  Students in a German Youth Cultures course here at the U of Michigan and students at the U of Giessen in Germany will be collaborating to create a bilingual magazine and wish to publish it on the web.  I understand Dreamweaver has templates and someone suggested using MS Word templates and saving as webpage.  Any recommendations or tips from personal experience with such endeavors are certainly appreciated.
>

> Thanking you,
> Philomena Meechan
> UM Language Resource Center

* I will be out of the office this Friday, Oct. 18th *
*      at the MWALLT regional conference.            *