LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:17:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Lee Ramsdell <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:19:42 -0600
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Lee Ramsdell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6883 rec. for headsets

------------------
The Language Resource Centre at the University of Alberta have used MBQuart
headsets for 17 years and have had very good results as all of the orginal
headsets are still in operation.  These headsets are very durable and do
not give any trouble.  The earpads do eventually wear out (in part due to
the fact that they are regually cleaned with a disinfectant), however new
pads can be purchased.  We did change the microphone elements from the
dynamic cartridge to an electret cartridge when we discarded our Tandberg
lab and went to computer based labs.  While these headsets are more
expensive than some, over the long run they save money, time and
frustration.  If you go the the web site http://www.mbquart.com, you will
be able to find a dealer in your area.  The last time I purchased headsets,
the cost was $135 (Canadian funds).  Hope this is of some help.
>--- Forwarded Message from Françoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt
>
>>Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 15:55:36 -0700
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>From: Françoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt      <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: rec. for headsets
>>Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
>
>------------------
>Can anyone out there recommend a computer lab headset that is both
>sturdy and affordable.  We've primarily used headsets from Koss
>(SB40, R-50b, R-65b).  Koss has a great warranty but their headsets
>all have weaknesses in a classroom setting (lousy mikes, head bands
>that break off,  weak cords, etc). We purchased a Telex H-51 headset
>but the build quality is only marginally better than Koss.  Telex
>makes a more rugged headset (Discovery series DS-8V) that we'll be
>testing soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>--
>Francoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt
>Senior Lecturer in French #2580
>4125 Dwinelle Hall