LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:17:45 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Greetings LLTIers,
>
> Is anyone using OSX startup for their labs? I
> would like to do this for our labs particularly to
> take advantage of the ldap lookup. I've personally
> been using OSX since July and have run into a few
> snags with very old applications running in
> Classic, but they haven't been essential
> applications.  I would like some input from those
> of you with experience in this area before
> deciding which would be the best way to go. Thank
> you for your help! Beth

Hi Beth,

We only run OSX on our servers and a few teacher workstations. We don't
use it on the student workstations at this time primarily because
there's no OSX client for Mac Manager. There is, however, Workgroup
Manager, which is billed as an OSX replacement for Mac Manager. I've
been using Apple workgroup software for years and do not trust 1.x
versions, so we'll be running 9.2.2 on clients as long as we can, though
only on existing machines, because all Macs shipping in 2003 will run
OSX and OSX only. Running 9.2.2 on our iMac student stations and Mac
Manager 2.1 on our OSX servers has been the most stable arrangement
we've had here since using an authentication/document server, especially
since replacing our WinNT server for media files with an OSX server with
an internal SCSI RAID--which vastly improved item lookup for non-local
files.

-John
John de Szendeffy       <[log in to unmask]>
Multimedia Language Lab
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Boston University
ph 617.353.7957       fx 617.353.6195
Lab:            http://www.bu.edu/celop/mll
WebFeat:        http://people.bu.edu/johndesz/