LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:51:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "S. Earp" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 06:11:12 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "S. Earp" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6887 CALL and Blackboard
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Dear Marianne,

My guess is that the only products that would "work"
with Blackboard are those who have gone through the
Building Blocks process.  This is a Blackboard
corporate program whereby developers can get access to
the Blackboard API and develop back-end processes to
write to the gradebook.

(This would be a different process from the
"cartridge" model, where publishers can create
pre-packaged content that can be uploaded into
Blackboard.  This is pretty limited for foreign
languagesat the moment - just ask TBob!)

There's some information on the Blackboard corporate
site about the BUilding Blocks program, but I don't
see any language software developers listed.  There
are developers of other on-line assessment tools like
Brownestone's .EDU product (much better assessment
tools than the native Bb ones) who are creating
building blocks - but this is still for developing
content, not plugging in pre-existing materials.

I'll post this to the Bb Foreign Language Users' Group
listserv and see if anyone knows of more info.

Best,
Samantha

Samantha Earp
Director,Foreign Language Technology Services, Duke
University
Manager, Blackboard Foreign Language Users' Group