LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:26:23 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:01:39 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6854 Transfering Video tapes to DVDs

------------------
Copyright will permit or prohibit copying materials regardless of the
format (tape, hard disk, DVD, video server, whatever).  Get
permission before copying.

Drawbacks to copying video tapes onto DVD include the time it takes,
the cost of the hardware and software and some quality degrade in the
transfer/digitizing/compression process.  You will need hardware and
software to digitize the video, and other hardware and software to
burn the DVD.  I digitize analog video via mini-DV camcorder.  Many
models allow pass-through of a video signal, so that you can play a
VHS tape on your VCR, and record it onto your computer hard disk,
without needing to make a digital tape in the process.  I use a Sony
TRV-30 camcorder for this, but many other camcorders have the same
abilities.  I capture the video using the iMovie software, which came
with my Macintosh.  PC software may come with the camcorder.

Alternatively, digitizing and capture of the analog video can be done
with conversion boxes that plug into your computer or with digitizing
cards that go into a computer expansion slot.  Most of these
approaches assume that you have a FireWire (IEEE 1394) port on the
computer (built-in or on an expansion card).

Next you will need to author the video for DVD (putting in menus,
section divisions, chapter markers, etc) and encode it in MPEG-2
format for DVD.  I do the encoding and chapter/marker editing with
either the iDVD software that comes with some Macs or with DVD Studio
Pro.  The former is free, easy to use and easy to learn, but doesn't
do everything.  The latter is expensive, harder to learn and has
great power and flexibility.  PC options exist, but I don't have any
experience with them.

Finally, you will need a DVD writer and software.  Almost all the
writers on the market are made by Pioneer.  This is what Apple and
Compaq both use.  Again, I am only familiar with the Apple/Macintosh
approach, which has worked well for me.  By the way, the Pioneer DVD
writers will self-destruct, if you use the new higher speed DVD
media.  A downloadable ROM upgrade solves this problem.

Derek

>> From: Merle Krueger <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Transfering Video tapes to DVDs
>
> [snip].  My question is
> whether anyone has experience with transferring video tapes to DVD
> format.  I can imagine advantages - DVDs are more sturdy, accessing
> specific scenes is easier, they take up less space, they may lend
> themselves to streaming, etc.  Are their drawbacks to transferring
> video tapes?  For example, is there an affordable, easy to use
> technology for burning DVDs from video sources?  Do copyright
> considerations play a role?  Anyone have experience here?

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]