LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:26:12 EDT

--- Forwarded Message from Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:18:55 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Nina Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6858 LCTLs resources recommendation?

------------------
Hi Ursula --

         Yale offers 54 languages in the catalogue and actually teachers
28-30 in any given semester, and the Center for Language Study offers
Directed Independent Language Study in 14 more, so I guess we
qualify.  We've got just about all our audio online now, except where we
can't get copyright permission to do so.  If you want to know what
materials exist in 100-odd languages, check the web database of the
Language Materials Project at UCLA --  http://www.lmp.ucla.edu.  It is
notable for including only materials that the data-compilers have actually
had in their hot little hands -- no vaporware.  Beyond that -- when we need
to find materials for languages not in that database, we post a question to
the LCTL list at CARLA, moderated by Louis Janus -- louis janus
<[log in to unmask]> --  and either he or the readers of that list almost
always respond most helpfully.  Let me know if you have questions about the
specific materials Yale teachers use in LCTL courses.   (Asian: Chinese,
Japanese, Korean;  Southeast Asian: Indonesian, Vietnamese;  African:
Swahili, Yoruba, Zulu, Twi and many others offered on a tutorial basis.)

         I don't know whether Nelleke Van Deusen-Scholl (Director of the
Penn Language Center) reads LLTL, but the PLC teaches even more LCTLs than
we do, so you could contact her -- [log in to unmask] -- and ask
for info from her teachers.

         Let me know if I can help further --

         Best,
                 Nina

At 03:31 PM 9/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
> >Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:36:39 -0500
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >From: Ursula Williams <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: LCTLs resources recommendation?
>
>Colleagues, I have recently been invited to provide a shopping list
>for resource materials for less commonly taught languages. It is part
>of a grant proposal that an Institute on campus is preparing. I
>hardly know where to start. Can you point me to a lab or LRC that has
>a reputation for breadth (and depth) of offerings in LCTLs? (We are
>focusing on Africa and Asia.)
>
>I am grateful.

Nina Garrett, Director
Center for Language Study