LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:26:31 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:41:47 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #6854 Transfering Video tapes to DVDs
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
You have several questions here and I will assume that the videos you have
are not available in DVD format.  If they are, you should buy the DVD and
get the high quality not available on videocassette and the extra material
found on most DVDs.

Copyright aside, there are two issues to be aware of before you start.  The
quality of the DVD will be no better than the quality of the video tape.
This is the old garbage in - garbage out idea.

The MPEG format of the DVD copy is not the format you would need to use to
stream video over your network.  Streaming video, in any of its various
formats, is a highly compressed file that usually displays a smaller
picture and lower frame rate than regular video.

There are several hardware and software packages for digitization and
creation of a DVD.  The good ones are not inexpensive.  There is a
considerable amount of investment in equipment, time, and expertise to do
what you propose.  The best (and perhaps only legal) way to get a DVD movie
is to buy it.

Tom Browne

--On Thursday, September 26, 2002 3:31 PM -0400 LLTI-Editor
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:rr

> --- Forwarded Message from Merle Krueger <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:07:49 -0400
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> From: Merle Krueger <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: Transfering Video tapes to DVDs
>
> As a relative newcomer to this list, I am not sure whether the topic of
> this e-mail has been discussed before.  My question is whether anyone has
> experience with transferring video tapes to DVD format.  I can imagine
> advantages - DVDs are more sturdy, accessing specific scenes is easier,
> they take up less space, they may lend themselves to streaming, etc.  Are
> their drawbacks to transferring video tapes?  For example, is there an
> affordable, easy to use technology for burning DVDs from video sources?
> Do copyright considerations play a role?  Anyone have experience here?
>
> Merle Krueger, Ph.D.
> Associate Director
> Center for Language Studies
> Box 1982
> 195 Angell Street
> Brown University
> Providence, Rhode Island 02912 / USA
> Tel: (401) 863-2589;  Fax: (401) 863-2551
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Thomas Browne
Humanities Resource Center
Macalester College