LLTI Archives

October 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 08:26:11 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Olaf Bohlke <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:17:28 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Olaf Bohlke <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6856 Spanish Partner software

------------------
Hi Susan,

On an experimental basis, I have tried the following:

1. Partition your harddisk into 2 partitions and format them so that you
have c:\ and d:\  (use fdisk)
2. Install Windows95.  It will automatically install on c:\
3. Install Windows XP afterwards.  It is 'smart' enough to see the other
system and give you the option of a 'dual boot'.
4. You now have a dual boot computer.  I did not test this setting with
Spanish Partner, but Spanish Partner still runs on our 7 remaining Pentium
II  233mhz Win95 PCs that we left in the lab BECAUSE of Spanish Partner.

Unfortunately, we can't use the OEM CDs for Windows 95 on our new XP
machines, since OEM software is "married" to the original PC it was
preinstalled on.  For this reason, I abandoned the project and kept a few
Spanish Partner compatible PCs in the lab.  Spanish Partner is still one of
the most requested programs in our lab.

However, if you have a few original Windows 95 boxes, i.e. not OEM, then
you can of course install them on the newer machines.  I looked at Ebay,
but it's almost always OEM someone tries to sell.  That's not an option for
a university lab.

Here is more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q217210

If you find a solution to the compatibility issue with Spanish Partner,
please share it with me ( or the list).

Thank you, and good luck.

Olaf

Olaf Böhlke, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of German
Director of the Hitchcock Language Resource Center
HC-215 Modern Languages and Literatures
2500 California Plaza
Creighton University
Omaha, NE 68178

Email:    [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.creighton.edu/langlab

At 03:31 PM 9/26/2002 EDT, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "Susan Gehrlein" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:39:21 -0500
>>From: "Susan Gehrlein" <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Spanish Partner software
>
>The most used and loved program in my lab is Spanish Partner-even though
it is still DOS based. It is sold in our bookstore and we've come to
realize that it doesn't seem to be compatible with Windows 2000. I spoke
with tech support at McGraw Hill and he tried to install it on his machine
and got the same 'run time error' we did. Has anyone dealt with this
problem and managed to work around it? I've asked them many times to
upgrade it but they have not been receptive to this.