LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:31:27 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Carol H. Reitan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:49:51 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Carol H. Reitan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6844.1 WebCT upgrade(!)

------------------

Thank you for your helpful reply. It turns out that it wasn't the upgrade
at all, but a change in servers. My course was moved during the summer,
and the name of the directory where my course is housed is different in
the new server. As I'm not the server administrator, I was never really
aware of the name of that directory at all, usually using webct functions
to make links to items within webct or using simple relative links. The
name change did not affect any of the relative links within the content
modules (to sound, or images), nor did it affect any of the images within
the tests. A cursory check last summer told me everything was ok except
for the links to discussion board topics, and I spent quite a bit of time
fixing those. I created all my webct tests with Respondus which, it turns
out treats sound differently than it treats images. For the sound files,
it automatically detects the directory name where the course is housed and
uses that name in the path (images use a more direct path that doesn't
include the course directory name).  Because my course directory name had
changed, all the paths to sound files within quizzes and exams were
incorrect. When given the new directory name, I could easily fix the
tests. Of course, these are the problems that come up during the weekend
when the server admin people are not in!

Thank you again.

Carol