LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 16:33:54 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Sonia Bascur <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:00:34 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Sonia Bascur <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lab. impact on EFL/ESL students
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

Hello:

  I would greatly appreciate if any of you could give me some information
on the impact of teaching a language, and using a language lab. as a tool
or resourse center. How do we know that having a Language lab as an
addition o complement to the class helps students to improve learning a
second language? Is there any research about this, or statistics?
Almost every school and university has a language lab.? What empirical
research does it prove to help acquiring a language using a lab?
thanks very much for any link, site, books, paper, etc... related to this
particular issue.
I am in charged of  the English Area at the school of Engineering,
Universidad de Chile. Vice-Deen wants to know why should they invest in a
Language lab. instead of a physics one, o chemistry one. What is the added
value of a lab for EFL/ESL students...anything scientific  and factual
about this topic?

Thanks very much for any hints on this topic

Sonia Bascur