LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:59:47 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:51:30 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6824 Language Lab fee
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
The University has a technology fee which helps defray costs.  I work
very hard reducing how much it costs to buy and maintain each
workstation, finding inexpensive software solutions where I can.  Our
department gets to apply for special funding every year, and we have
written very successful proposals. We have just cut down on
maintenance costs by hiring some teachers who build their own
computers (we hired one from that South Florida FL ed and technology
program).  It's not just one thing.  However, we too are looking for
an even-handed way to make modest demands on student wallets in case
there is a big impoundment of funds this year.

TBob (ex coach & proud of it)

>--- Forwarded Message from Bob Godwin-Jones <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>>Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:49:03 -0400
>>From: Bob Godwin-Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Language Lab fee
>
>I know this topic has been discussed on this list in the past, but others
>may be in the situation we find outselves in at VCU, thinking about
>proposing a student lab fee to counterbalance dwindling resources.
>Politically, it would be helpful to have a list of institutions that do
>have such a fee, so I would appreciate greatly hearing from folks in that
>camp. It would be nice to know how much (per course, semester, etc) the
>fee is and whether it is earmarked for only certain expenses.  If you
>send me info, I'll collect and summarize for the list.  Thanks!
>
>Bob
>--
>   Robert Godwin-Jones
>http://www.fln.vcu.edu/gj.html

Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html