LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:59:44 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "S. Earp" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:59:56 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "S. Earp" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6823.1 Student access to mp3's (!)
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: [log in to unmask]

------------------
Karl,

Here is the code I use to embed RealPlayers in HTML
files for audio.  I much prefer this way to just using
an HREF tag to bringing up the audio, since that
method requires the browser to be set up to launch
RealPlayer for MP3s (not the usual config, in the
Windows Media Player-dominated world).

This is code I adapted from what was provided on the
RealNetworks site. They have a lot of thorough and
useful info on a variety of topics involving embedding
players, SMIL, etc.

The code below works in ActiveX environments and Java.

<OBJECT id=RAOCX
classid="clsid:CFCDAA03-8BE4-11cf-B84B-0020AFBBCCFA"
height="36" width="240" align="texttop">
<PARAM name="CONTROLS" value="ControlPanel">
<PARAM name="AUTOSTART" value="false">
<PARAM name="BACKGROUNDCOLOR" value="#FFFFFF">
<PARAM name="SRC"
value="http://mp3_file_address_here.mp3">
<EMBED height="36" width = "240"
controls="ControlPanel" backgroundcolor="#FFFFFF"
src="http://mp3_file_address_here.mp3?embed"
type="audio/x-pn-realaudio-plugin" autostart="false"
align="texttop">
              </EMBED>
            </OBJECT>

There are a variety of different switches and
configurations possible. For example, you can have
only a play button, but our students prefer the full
RealPlayer panel that the above code produces.

For more info, check out the RealNetworks production
topics page at
http://www.realnetworks.com/resources/howto/index.html.

Best,
Samantha