LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:59:39 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Mary Ball" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:26:09 -0700
>From: "Mary Ball" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Groupwise and Macs

Dear wise ones

             This is a non language question but one with which some of
you may have experience. Are any of you Mac users also users of Novell
Groupwise?  Our campus recently adopted Novell Groupwise 6.0.1 as THE
e-mail (and calendaring, document sharing) software  for all (6.0.2 for
the web version).  While PC users are just generally  grumbling at
something new, the minority of Mac users are finding that Groupwise is
really very inconvenient. For example, to the  best knowledge of our IT
staff, the Mac version of Groupwise does not, as a default, save Sent
Mail in a Sent Mail folder.  A Mac user can enable this
function.......by logging in on a PC and selecting some settings
available on the PC client but not the Mac client.   It is also true
that our IT staff know less about Mac than PC  and that they understood
from Novell that the Mac client would be better than it is.  The
Macheads say that some other functions are not possible at all, though
it's hard to extract from sputtering angry people the exact details of
their troubles.  The Mac users claim they could formerly do all sorts of
things with Netscape Messenger, or Pine or Outlook, that are simply not
possible with Groupwise.  True?
             I don't know why nobody uses Eudora here.  Though I do
know that we formerly used Pine, and predominantly Messenger  because
they are free, and the Unix Sendmail server software was also free or
extremely cheap.
             Question:  Are there happy Mac / Groupwise users out
there?  Are you, in fact, able to do all the mail functions you want?
And if so, can I refer unhappy Mac users to some good FAQ site or even
human person?

Yours,

Mary Ball
Instructor, French/Director, Language Lab
Ashland Univesity
Ashland, OH  44805
(tel) 419 289-5945
(fax) 419 289-5791