LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:36:49 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Aaron Stephenson" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:48:21 -0400
>Subject: A Call for input
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>From: "Aaron Stephenson" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I am not sure if this request for information is too broad (I am sure
books can be written on the subject), but I would appreciate input from
anyone who has the time and energy.
My name is Aaron Stephenson and I am a Spanish teacher at Lawrence
Academy, a prep school in Groton, MA.  Part of my particular interest and
professional focus has been integrating effective technology into the
language classroom.   Perhaps your institutions are like mine where a lot
of money is spent on the hardware, but few educators have the time or
energy to utilize it to the fullest because of all of the other demands on
their time.

The reason that I am writing to you is that I know that there are some
very innovative uses of technology (I refer mostly here to computer
technology) that are taking place right now in the classrooms in your
institutions.  My hope is that we can share ideas so as not to have to
reinvent the wheel in each of our schools.

I both ask for information and offer a service to you.  I propose to take
a survey of successful current best practices with technology in language
learning and in return  will compile the information and prepare a report
that I will return to you.  In addition, If possible, I would like to
visit some of your schools to see first hand what you are doing.

I hope that you will take some time to consider my request and participate
in my work.  Please feel free to forward this survey to anyone who you
think might have some useful input.  Thank you in advance for your time.
What particular software do you use in your language courses?  In what
ways?

What web sites/services do you use on a consistent basis?  How?

What other ways do you feel like you use technology effectively in your
classroom? (may be specific uses or general)

How do you keep current with new technology and its language applications?

Do you have a language lab with integrated computing facilities?

What are the greatest challenges you face to broader implementation of
technology in your language curriculum?

Are there any other resources that you have found particularly helpful in
bringing technology into the classroom?

Anything else you would like to add?

--Aaron Stephenson--
Lawrence Academy