LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:22:29 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Steven Doellefeld <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Steven Doellefeld <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: #6808 Appropriate tape recorder
>Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 16:30:21 -0400

------------------
Gloria-

Your recorder may be just fine. If you have an external microphone jack on
the recorder, you'll be able to use a wireless mic. Do be advised that the
wireless mics designed for the consumer market are quite fragile, and not
very well made. The products made for the professional market are much
better, and more rugged, but very pricey.

If you WANT to buy a new recorder, I'd suggest the Sony TC-D5M. It's not a
new model (I've had mine for 15 years), but it's GREAT for field recording,
has XLR and line level inputs, and is a real workhorse. There's also a
Tascam knockoff of it that's a little less expensive, but I have no
firsthand experience using it.

Cheers,

Steven

Steven Doellefeld, Ph.D.
Assistant Director
Center for Excellence in Teaching & Learning
University at Albany
1400 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 12203

(518) 437-3915