LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:22:02 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Andrea L. Curry" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 13:47:51 -0500
>Subject: Netscape 7 and AIM?
>From: "Andrea L. Curry" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
We're running a Mac lab, with IE5 and Netscape 4.7 as our browsers of
choice.  I would love to upgrade Netscape, but some of our mission-critical
apps refuse to work under Netscape 6.  Netscape 7 just came out this week,
and I've been trying it out on my development machine.  It seems to work
with all our Web applications, and I'm considering loading it onto our 20
lab machines.

There's just one nitpicky problem: NS7 comes bundled with AOL Instant
Messenger, which I am highly wary of allowing in the lab for various
reasons.  I know it comes with Communicator as well, but this version makes
it extremely obvious that AIM is part of Netscape - and I have not yet found
a way to remove the AIM components or even make it less obvious.

NS7 is perfect in every other way, and I'd really like to upgrade from 4.7
as soon as I can.  Does anyone know of a workaround for this problem?  I've
searched the newsgroups, but I think it's a little early for that.  Of
course, the Netscape site is no help.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrea.

--
Andrea L. Curry
Director, SMU Foreign Language Tech Center

"The past is history
the future is a mystery
Today is a gift
That is why we call it the present."