LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:22:24 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Michael Shaughnessy" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu,  5 Sep 2002 21:00:16 -0400
>From: "Michael Shaughnessy" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The PC and DVD Hardware Locking?

Does anyone have a solution or policy to the *potential* problem of PC DVD hardware locking through the use of multi-region DVDs?

We have installed PCs with DVD players in many classrooms with projectors. I noticed that differently coded DVDs will work, but the use of these DVDs will eventually "lock" the hardware into one code. I am concerned that use by instructors and students will unwittingly lock the hardware into one region.

What happens when a DVD "locks" into a code anyway?

Does anyone have any tips, advice, or university policies that would address this issue?

Michael Shaughnessy
Washington and Jefferson College
www.washjeff.edu/german/