LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 16:26:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:12:55 -0400
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re:  #6818 Where would copyright jail be?

Ursula,

hypothetically speaking, of course...

you really can only test your defense when you stand up
in court

that would be my guess

The real message, however, is
    do not give up

In some rare instances you may be able to persuade the
holder of the copyright that a positive response to
your request would be beneficial because it increases
the likelihood that your faculty will continue to use
the product.

We have also found that some initially reluctant publishers
are more willing to consider the request if there is some
restriction, control or fees involved. We have collected
royalties from students for several such programs, and
passed them along to the publisher on a regular basis.
Another tack is to have signed agreement forms, or to
restrict the copies to students who have purchased the
text, or students enrolled in the class.

If we make three appeals with no success, then and only
then would we really give up.

two cents

bruce
boston univ