LLTI Archives

September 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:36:52 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:18:16 -0500
>Subject: Re: #6816 The PC and DVD Hardware Locking?
>From: Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum   <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hello all!

The solution that we have come up with is to use up all of the "free"
chances one has to change the region code.  How one does this, of course,
depends on your operating system, but for W2K you can do the following:

1) Right click on my computer, which will open up the System Properties
windows
2) Click on the Hardware tab
3) Click on Device Manager
4) Click on DVD-CD ROM drives and then select your DVD player
5) Click on Advanced Settings

At this point your computer will display the region to which it has been set
and will list the number of times remaining that you may change the region
code.  Then just change regions until the last time when you select the
region that you want the machine to be in permanently.  This limits
instructors to one region, but at least you can make sure it is the one that
most people use!  You can always buy a multistandard DVD player to make it
up to the other faculty.

Jonathan

On 9/9/02 2:22 PM, "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Michael Shaughnessy" <[log in to unmask]>
> ---
>
>> Date: Thu,  5 Sep 2002 21:00:16 -0400
>> From: "Michael Shaughnessy" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: <[log in to unmask]>
>> Subject: The PC and DVD Hardware Locking?
>
> ------------------
> Does anyone have a solution or policy to the *potential* problem of PC DVD
> hardware locking through the use of multi-region DVDs?
>
> We have installed PCs with DVD players in many classrooms with projectors. I
> noticed that differently coded DVDs will work, but the use of these DVDs will
> eventually "lock" the hardware into one code. I am concerned that use by
> instructors and students will unwittingly lock the hardware into one region.
>
> What happens when a DVD "locks" into a code anyway?
>

> Does anyone have any tips, advice, or university policies that would address
> this issue?
>
> Michael Shaughnessy
> Washington and Jefferson College
> www.washjeff.edu/german/