LLTI Archives

August 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:10:48 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Language Laboratories and Archives <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
>--- Forwarded Message from David Kanig <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>We're running a Mac OS X Server 10.1 on which web service has been
>configured to automatically append "index.html" to the end of any URL
>request which comes in without a file name at the end.  While this
>works as expected for addresses which end in a slash, it is not
>working for URLs which don't end in a slash.  For example:
>
>       http://www.language.brown.edu/CZH/  correctly resolves to:
>       http://www.language.brown.edu/CZH/index.html .  However,
>
>       http://www.language.brown.edu/CZH  only yields error messages:
>       "Netscape is unable to locate the server LangLabServer 16080"
>       and similarly, IE reports: "The specified server could not be found."
>
>Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Computers are really dumb. Perhaps what the second resolves to is
http://www.language.brown.edu/CZHindex.html, which would not be a
good address. Can the program that appends index.html be set to
evaluate the expression to look for a final slash, and to append one
if it is missing?

Barbara Need
Manager (SS4)
UChicago