LLTI Archives

August 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:33:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Jessamine Cooke-Plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 14:46:17 -0500
>From: "Jessamine Cooke-Plagwitz" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6758 TESOL+CALL/IT Master Degree (!)

------------------
Dear Neny,

Though ours is not a Master's program, but rather a Graduate
Certificate Program, I can't pass up the opportunity presented for a
little free advertising (see below).  Certainly, ESL instructors fall
under the rubric of foreign language teachers, though.

Best of luck!
Jessamine

The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures at Northern
Illinois University will begin offering courses in its Graduate
Certificate Program in Foreign Language Instructional Technology in the
spring, 2003 semester.  The program is designed to combine foreign
language study with the development of proficiency in the use of
technology.  The prerequisite for admission to the program is a B.A. or
M.A. in a foreign language (preferably a language taught at NIU).
Previous experience with computers is desirable.   The program is
intended for foreign language faculty, particularly new hires wishing to
improve their teaching skills, foreign language graduate students and
recent graduates, inservice language teachers pursuing re-certification,
preservice language teachers, or for those students who plan to
specialize in the administration of a Language Learning Center.

The program is composed of four compulsory courses in foreign language
education:

FLTE 591        (3) Integrating Technology into the Foreign Language
Curriculum;
FLTE 592        (3) Development of Technology-Based Materials for the
Foreign-Language Classroom;
FLTE 593        (3) Foreign Language Learning Center Administration;
FLTE 594        (3) Internship in the Foreign Language Learning Center;

and two elective courses in instructional technology to be selected
from the following list:

ETT 439 (3) Developing Educational Software for Computers;
ETT 510 (3) Instructional Media and Technology;
ETT 535 (3) Distance Education: Design and Delivery;
ETT 539 (3) Courseware Systems Development;
ETT 590 (1-3) Workshop in Instructional Technology;
ETT 592 (1-3) Special Topics in Instructional Technology
(Software Tools for Instruction).

For further information on the program please contact Jessamine
Cooke-Plagwitz at the
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures, Northern Illinois
University, DeKalb,
Illinois, 60115-2854
Phone: (815) 753-5077 or (815) 753-6442
Email: [log in to unmask]