LLTI Archives

August 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 15:53:39 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 13:38:43 -0600
>To: LLTI <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: digitizing video for Divace
>Disposition-Notification-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
>Return-Receipt-To: Deanne Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

We recently purchased the Divace ICM system from Teleste Educational,
and we have been experimenting with using their system for digitizing
video, and we were quick to realise that our initial concerns were true.
 The file sizes for the digital video produced through this mechanism
are much too large for streaming successfully over our internet.

I've been reading on the LLTI listserv about this issue, but I still am
unsure as to how this might relate to us.  I have seen mention of
feeding the VCR through a digital camera or through a 1333 board to the
computer, but I am unsure if that is necessary.

I have seen recommended on this listserv the Adobe Premier as a video
editor, and I am wondering if this may be useful if used in the process.
 Would it be possible to digitize the video using the Divace system and
then clean it with Premier, or is it possible (and more feasible) just
to install Premier on the computer and digitize it with Premier from the
beginning.  (This is assuming that all you need is a Video Capture card
with a VCR connection.)

I am somewhat ignorant of this procedure and would welcome some
guidance.

Thanks!
Deanne Cobb
Language Lab Manager
University of Regina

"There is no virtue in being uncritical; nor is it a habit to which the young are given. But
criticism is only the burying beetle that gets rid of what is dead, and, since the world lives by
creative and constructive forces, and not by negation and destruction, it is better to grow up in
the company of prophets than of critics."
-Richard Livingstone, On Education