LLTI Archives

August 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:05:45 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "John Skawski" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "John Skawski" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Language Learning Materials
>Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 13:56:35 -0400

Dear Instructor,

My name is David Haas, and I'm a student in Comparative Literature at
Cornell University.  Currently, I am working as a publishing intern with
Spoken Language Services, Inc.

I am writing because Spoken Language Services, Inc. is presently seeking
accomplished authors of new instructional materials in the foreign
languages, including Less Commonly Taught Languages (LCTLs) as well as in
the widely taught languages such as French and Spanish.  In particular, we
are interested in materials with an audio-visual or multimedia component.
Keeping course materials current with the latest language-learning
techniques and methodologies is one of our most important goals, and as part
of this effort, we are seeking accomplished authors of new instructional
materials.

In addition to our Spoken series, available in Arabic, French, Hausa, Malay,
Spanish, Swahili, and Tagalog among others, we currently offer a series of
English as a Foreign Language, and will review materials geared toward
students learning English as well.  Some of our EFL publications such as
English for Speakers of Spanish and English for Speakers of Vietnamese, have
been well received for their targeted approach toward speakers of a specific
language.

I would like to take a moment, though, to further introduce you to Spoken
Language Services, Inc.  Cornell University Professor J. Milton Cowan,
founder and then Chairman of the Division of Modern Languages at Cornell,
founded Spoken Language Services in 1972.  His emphasis on the language's
spoken dimension as the proper starting point for acquiring a non-native
tongue is the guiding principle of our language learning courses,
instructional materials, and related reference works.  SLS is integrated
into the systems of the largest US book distributors, among them Baker &
Taylor, Ingram, and Amazon.com.

Please contact me by telephone at (607)-256-0500 or by email at
[log in to unmask] with any questions or suggestions.  Materials
submitted for review may be sent to the following address:

                Spoken Language Services, Inc.
                                Publishing Department
                P.O. Box 783
                Ithaca, NY  14851

Our catalog is available upon request, and you may also visit us on the web
at www.spokenlanguage.com

Sincerely,

David Haas
Publishing Department