LLTI Archives

August 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 11:33:13 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:12:05 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6762 Advice sought for new language building

------------------
As a starting point, you might want to get your hands on a copy of Language Center Design Kit, Third Edition, from IALLT.  You can find information on this at:
http://iallt.org/iallt_services/iallt_publications.html

Good luck...

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/31/02 01:50PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Lee Forester <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 09:45:23 -0400
>From: Lee Forester <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum     <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Advice sought for new language building

------------------

I'm in the wonderful position of representing our language department at
Hope College (Holland MI) in the planning of a new building for us and
the Communications dept. A part of this will be a new language lab.

I'm looking for any advice I can get to help me with our proposal to the
administration. We have 3000 students at the college with about a 1-yr
language requirement. Currently I'm proposing a 32-station lab with an
additional 16-station dual classroom/lab. We now have a 16 station
audio-lingual tape lab, so it'll be quite a jump.

We have no technical staffing currently, it's all handled by profs. I
would like to propose a full-time person to administer the lab, assist
in training, run the website and help us get our technical stuff up to
speed (including web-based placement exams, some other programming, internet-exercises.

Anyone out there who has built a new building and/or language lab in the
last few years? Made a pitch for increased staffing? Advice on what to
do and what not to do? Anyone with experiences with Tandberg or other
lab-software vendors want to chime in? Any spot in the archives I should
look at? (I just joined the list).

Thanks in advance, I'll leave it up to you whether to respond to me
privately or post to the list.

Lee Forester
Hope College