LLTI Archives

August 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 10:18:05 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:11:25 -0500
>From: "Read Gilgen" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6764 Copyright query

------------------
I'd make the good faith effort to locate the owner of the copyright (which you have done) and then go ahead and digitize (since you own the originals anyway).  But that's what I'D do <grin>.

Sometimes "publishes" don't really own the rights either, but are merely distributors.  Can you find the authors (or compilers)?  The content also sounds like it would be pretty hard to copyright... the compilation is probably what Gessler was making money from.

(Now you know why I'm not the Intellectual Property chair for IALLT!! <grin>)

>>> [log in to unmask] 08/02/02 02:53PM >>>
--- Forwarded Message from Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 13:16:30 -0400
>From: Beth Secrist <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Copyright query

Hello fellow LLTIers!

Has anyone had experience with what happens to
copyright when the publisher no longer exists? We
have a video "Spanish TV Commercials. Vol I"
published by Gessler Publishing Co. I phoned them
and they are no longer in business. The company
that answered at their number had purchased their
inventory, but not the rights to their
publications. We would like to digitize this
video. What can we do?

Beth Secrist
Director, Language Resource Center
Dept. of Modern Foreign Langs. & Lits.