LLTI Archives

July 2002, Week 5

From:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:52:15 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:52:55 -1000 (HST)
>From: Daniel Tom <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: National Audio Tape Sales
>To: [log in to unmask]

Does anyone on LLTI recall the National Audio Tape Sales at the University
of Colorado?  In the old days before CDs and on-line audio files, this
organization was distributing audio cassettes for certain textbooks in
various languages.  Several of these textbooks were written by University
of Hawaii faculty and the audio tapes were recorded here in our recording
studio.  We were not allowed to sell these tapes to private individuals in
those days so the National Audio Tape Sales provided that service to
individuals that wanted to study those languages on their own.  It has
been so long ago that no one here can remember what arrangement was made
with them to distribute the tapes or whether they were given any rights to
the tapes.  Is the National Audio Tape Sales still in existence?  I have
not been able to find any reference to it on the University of Colorado
website.

One of the textbooks was "Let's Speak Hawaiian" by Dorothy Kahananui and
Pua Hopkins.  I have seen the tapes for this textbook available
commercially from Audio Forum and World of Reading.  I'm wondering who is
publishing these tapes for sale since the original tapes had to have come
from us.  The textbook has long since been discontinued here to teach
Hawaiian.

Daniel Tom
Language Telecommunications, Resource & Learning Center
University of Hawaii
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
FAX:     808-956-5134
Voice:   808-956-5118