LLTI Archives

July 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:53:01 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:24:42 -0600
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #6727. Recording from cassette into computer

>From: [log in to unmask]
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Recording from cassette into computer
>Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:20:31 -0400

>We have faculty who would like to record from cassette directly into
our
>Language Lab computers using LINE IN.

>While it does record, the audio quality is very poor, unacceptable
for
>their use.

Many useful suggestions and comments on bringing analog audio into
the computer have already been posted.  But I am thinking that there
must be a more fundamental problem in Jim's setup, if he is getting
"very poor, unacceptable" results.  My first guess is that the input
signal into the computer is much too strong, and is causing severe
distortion.  This could come from the output from the tape player
being too powerful, from the settings on the sound card being too
sensitive, or from plugging a line level input into the microphone
port on the sound card.  I have done the latter more than once, due
to poorly labled sound card inputs.

I would try using another tape player.  If you have any kind of an
analog volume control that you can plug into the line, between the
tape player and the computer, you might try turning the sound down
that way.  Until the sound coming into the computer seems much too
soft.  Only then can you have confidence that you are not overdriving
the circuit.

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center, Ortega Hall Rm 129, University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131  505/277-7368 fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]