LLTI Archives

July 2002, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:53:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------
On 6/27/02, Jim Millard ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>We have faculty who would like to record from cassette directly into our
>Language Lab computers using LINE IN.
>
>While it does record, the audio quality is very poor, unacceptable for their
>use. Has anyone dealt with this problem before? Is it because we are
>bringing analog sound into a digital source? If we invest in higher quality
>sound cards will this help?

I recommend getting a device called an iMic from Griffin software.
You plug in a mic or patch cord from a CD player into it, and then it
plugs into any available USB port on your computer.  I had to get
them for my lab because the model of Mac G4 that we purchased last
year (surprisingly!) did not have an audio-in port!   From their
website (http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html):

"The iMicTM universal audio adapter is a USB device that adds a stereo
input and output to your Mac or PC. This allows the connection of
virtually any microphone or sound input device to the iBook, Titanium
PowerBook, PowerMac or any other Mac or PC with a USB port. Currently
shipping, the iMic supports both line and Mic level input as well as
line level output for any USB capable computer.

"By using USB, the iMic provides significantly superior audio input
and output performance over built in audio. The iMic is a must have
product for people who are serious about getting high quality audio
in or out of their computers. The iMic not only provides amazingly
high quality performance but is remarkably inexpensive at a suggested
retail price of $35. "

Cheers,
Margo

--

Margo Burns       603-229-4666     [log in to unmask]      http://www.sps.edu
      Director of The Language Center, St. Paul's School, Concord, NH