LLTI Archives

June 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:22:14 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from [log in to unmask] ---

>From: [log in to unmask]
>Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 10:01:59 EDT
>Subject: Re: #6727 Recording from cassette into computer
>To: [log in to unmask]

Jim:

We have been successfully converting analog audio to digitized audio files;
avi, mpg and wma for many years. Our technicians sometimes comment that the
audio quality is improved with the process. The audio quality should at least
be the same,  meaning if the analog version is very good then the digitized
version should be the same. Assuming you are using a PC and not a MAC,  the
machine should have a good quality sound card i.e. Sound Blaster or equal.
Relying on the integrated sound card that came with the machine is sometimes
a problem. We use Real Jukebox as the recording or conversion software which
will convert analog audio to avi and mpg files. Other similar software
applications include Sound Forge XP5 at $60.00, Cakewalk model or Sonic model
at similar prices. There are others.

You will need to check the sound card setup to select "Microphone," "Line
in," or "mixer" depending on the sound card. The patch cord connection from
the output of the audio device, possibly the earphone jack, to the computer
sound card jacks labeled "Microphone " or "Line in," should match the
selection you made on the card setup. Patch cords are available at Radio
Shack.

If you are using stand alone student computers then either avi or mpg is
good. If you using a server and a switched LAN then mpg or wma. And if you
want to stream audio then wma. The avi format is almost obsolete becuase if
the Internet and audio streaming requirements. We are using wma almost
exclusively now.

John Dowling