LLTI Archives

June 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:22:19 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Mark Sanford <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:49:06 -0400
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Mark Sanford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6728 Enable payback feature doing voice recording

I'll just reply to the entire list because I miss all you guys (I didn't
attend the last NERALLD)

Well, we tried both modes this year. I most definitely prefer to have the
microphone feeding through to the ear piece when the student is responding
during an oral test.  For one reason, it at least confirms that the
microphone, if not the entire recording system, is working.  It is still
possible, however, that your sound recording software is not capturing the
audio and making a sound file out of it.  As I discovered.  To do this (one
way), open the sound control window (PC) and select the "Recording Control"
window.  Mute the microphone switch.  Now open the "Master Out" (playback)
sound control screen and make sure the microphone is not muted and that it
is set to a comfortable volume. Voila!  You will now hear yourself in the
headset when you talk, and not a word will get recorded.

Another reason to have the mike live to the ear piece is for screech
control. The student will moderate their volume level from the feedback
they hear in the headset.  If it is too loud, they will speak more softly,
etc.  Good for test correctors.

I suppose there is a pedagogical consideration involved here too.  I don't
know what it is.

Best regards,

Mark

is At 04:07 PM 6/27/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>--- Forwarded Message from "John M. Esposito"

> >From: "John M. Esposito" <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information
> Forum"    <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Enable payback feature doing voice recording
> >Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:54:44 -0400
>
>------------------
>We are currently experimenting with doing oral testing in the lab.  An issue
>has come up as to whether or not students should be able to hear their voice
>during recording.  This requires enabling playback of the mic in the control
>panel. Because of our current configuration (log in procedures, current
>ghost image, etc.) this requires the student to enable the mic before
>beginning the exam.  During our first phase of testing, we found this to be
>a problem for some students.  However, before we proceed, I would like to
>know what others think of the relevancy of hearing your voice during
>recording.  Thanks.

John Mark Sanford
Senior Multimedia Technician
Center for Language Study