LLTI Archives

June 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:20:15 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Jing-Shin Chang <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:07:46 +0800
>From: Jing-Shin Chang <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [COLING-02] Call for Participation (extended early registration)

[apology for multiple posts]                                       2002/06

                  COLING-2002: Second Call for Participation

                            COLING-2002 (Taipei)

        The 19th International Conference on Computational Linguistics

                      24 August  -  1 September, 2002

             Official URL:http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/

    Organized by Academia Sinica, ACLCLP, and National Tsing Hua University

** REMINDER: Early registration extended to June 22 !! (30+% saving!!)
Important Dates:

* Early Registration Deadline: 22, June.
Tutorials: 24 (Sat) - 25 (Sun) August, 2002 (Academia Sinica)
Conference: 26 (Mon) - 30 (Fri) August, 2002 (Howard International House)
Post-Conference Workshops: 31 (Sat) - 1 September, 2002 (Academia Sinica)

Dear Colleagues,

The Program Committee and the Organizing Committee of the COLING-2002
Conference are pleased to welcome participants from all countries to
join us in Taipei. Both lists of accepted papers and preliminary
program are available on (http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/).
The on-line registration system is also open
(http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/r-online.html).

This year's main conference features three keynote speakers: Charles
J. Fillmore ("Linking sense to syntax in FrameNet"), William S.-Y. Wang
("Evolutionary Linguistics and Computer Modeling"), and Hans Uszkoreit
("New Chances for Deep Linguistic Processing").

In addition to the close to 200 papers and project notes that will
be presented at the main conference; there will also be over 100 papers
featured at the 11 exciting post-conference WORKSHOPS.

Four pre-conference TUTORIALS focus on pioneering inter-disciplinary
areas: Computational Linguistics and Chinese Language Processing,
Bio-Informatics, Probabilistic Computational Psycholinguistics,
and Open Domain Question-Answering.

Taipei as COLING2002's Conference site offers a unique mix of
culture, science, and technology.

For further details, please visit our official conference website at:

http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/

Please note the pre-registration deadline of June 22.

We look forwards to your participation in August.

Program Committee

        Winfried Lenders (Chair), University of Bonn, Germany
        Susan Armstrong, ISSCO/ETI, University of Geneva, Switzerland
        Christian Boitet, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
        Nicolletta Calzolari, ILC-CNR, Pisa, Italy
        Jason S. Chang, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan
        Robert Dale, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
        Sadaoki Furui, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
        Ralph Grishman, New York University, USA
        Eva Hajicova, Charles University, Prague, Czech Rep.
        Chu-Ren Huang, Academia sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
        Pierre Isabelle, Xerox Reseach Centre Europe, Grenoble, France
        Yuji Matsumoto, NAIST, Nara, Japan
        Sergei Nirenburg, New Mexico State University, USA
        Benjamin K. T'sou, City university of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
        Jun-Ichi Tsujii, University of Tokyo, Japan
        Hans, Uszkoreit, Saarland University, Saarbrucken, Germany
        Yorik Wilks, University of Sheffield, UK
        Shiwen Yu, Beijing University, China

Organizing Committee

        Chu-Ren Huang, Academia Sinica (Chair)
        Kathleen Ahrens, national Taiwan University
        Jason S. Chang, National Tsing Hua University
        Jing-Shin Chang, Chi-Nan University
        Hsin-Hsi Chen, National Taiwan University
        Keh-Jiann Chen, Academia Sinica
        Kuang-Hua Chen, National Taiwan University
        Sin-Horng Chen, National Chiao Tung University
        Lee-Feng Chien, Academia sinica (Executive secretary)
        Zhao-Ming Gao, National Taiwan University
        Sue-Jin Ker, Soochow University
        Martha Palmer, University of Pennsylvania
        Keh-Yih Su, Behavior Design Corporation
        Shu-Chuan Tseng, Academia Sinica (Executive secretary)
        Hsiao-Chuan Wang, National Tsing Hua University
        Hsin-Min Wang, Academia Sinica
        Jhing-Fa Wang, National Cheng Kung University

---------------- Message requiring your approval (157 lines) ------------------
      Call for Participation              2002/06 [apology for multiple posts]
                          COLING-2002 TUTORIALS

       24 (Sat) - 25 (Sun) August, 2002, Academia Sinica, Taipei, TAIWAN

** REMINDER: Early Registration extended to June 22 !! (30+% saving!!)
Special Issues on:

      Computational Linguistics && Chinese Language Processing (*) 08/24 am/pm

                    Bio-Informatics && NLP Issues                  08/25 am/pm

               Open-Domain Textual Question Answering              08/25 am

            Probabilistic Computational Psycholinguistics          08/25 pm

(*) Co-Sponsored by ACL-SIGHAN: Special Interest Group on Chinese Language
    Processing (http://www.sighan.org/)

COLING has been the most important international conference on Computational
Linguistics and Natural Language Processing for nearly 40 years.
The 19th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING
2002) will be held in the Howard International House and Academia Sinica,
Taipei, Taiwan, from August 24 to September 1, 2002.

The biennial conference COLING 2002 this year will provide both
pre-conference tutorials and post-conference workshops, in addition to the
main conference. There will be four major tutorial issues divided into
six 3-hour units during COLING 2002.

The first major issue will be Computational Linguistics and Chinese Language
Processing. This tutorial will focus on Chinese language processing topics
including Intelligent Character Encoding (Ching-Chun Hsieh, Academia Sinica),
Treebanking and Parsing (Keh-jiann Chen, Academia Sinica), and Corpus-Based
Methods in Chinese Morphology (Richard Sproat, AT&T Labs). The whole scope
will cover most of the interesting and special characteristics that make
Chinese language processing a different and difficult task. It will be
co-sponsored with the ACL-SIGHAN.  People interested in Chinese language
processing issues should not miss the two tutorial units and the SigHan
Workshop (http://www.sighan.org/swclp/).

The second major issue focuses on NLP and Bio-Informatics. People
nowadays are becoming more and more interested in knowing how the
languages of humans differ from the languages of God. NLP researchers
and biologists feel strongly that the two communities can work together
to make things different. Our biologists, Toshihisa Takagi, Takako Takai
(University of Tokyo), Ken-ichiro Fukuda (National Institute of
Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, AIST, Tokyo, JAPAN) will
discuss some theoretical issues in Bio-Informatics and how NLP techniques
can help extracting and migrating biological data from the huge amount
of historical archives and databases to speedup biology study. Our
computational linguists, Jun-Ichi Tsujii (University of Tokyo and UMIST,
ICCL permanent member), and Aravind Joshi (University of Pennsylvania,
ICCL permanent member), on the other hand, will talk about the application
of Information Extraction techniques in Bio-informatics and some applications
of NLP Techniques for Modeling Biological Sequences in this tutorial.
You could expect that such interaction between the biologists and
computational linguists will bring to our communities many brand new ideas.

While simple information retrieval and information extraction techniques
are useful for many language processing tasks, including mining biological
rules as discussed in the above major issue, such techniques combined
in an intuitive way may not really provide us with good answers for
many critical questions. In the third major tutorial issue, our QA experts,
Professors Sanda M. Harabagiu (University of Texas) and Dan Moldovan
(University of Texas) will tell us how an Open-Domain Textual Question
Answering system could be constructed to serve well. Professor Harabagiu's
systems had proved to be outstanding in the community. Therefore, you
should really attend this course if you want more secrete behind the scenes.

The forth major tutorial issue is Probabilistic Computational
Psycholinguistics. This issue is important because every sentence that
we processed has its psycholinguistics and cognitive process behind it.
The more we know such psycholinguistic models the more we can process
the sentences better. Professor Dan Jurafsky (University of Colorado)
will lead you to the world of computational psycholinguistics and
cognitive modeling in the sentence, lexical and discourse levels
through this course.

Course Outlines:

Please refer to the following web-page for course outlines and further
information:

        http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/w-tutorials.html.

Additional information about on-line registration can be found on:

        http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/r-general.html.

Official URL of COLING-2002 is: http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/
ICCL Advisor on Workshops and Tutorials

   Prof. Antonio Zampolli
   Istituto di Linguistica
   Computazionale, CNR
   Via della Faggiola 32
   I-56100 Pisa,
   ITALY  tel:+39-50-560481
   fax:+39-50-589055
   Email: [log in to unmask]
TUTORIALS CHAIR

   Chu-Ren Huang
   Institute of Linguistics
   Academia Sinica
   Nankang, Taipei, Taiwan
   Email: [log in to unmask]

TUTORIALS CO-CHAIRS

   Kathleen Ahrens
   Graduate Institute of Linguistics
   National Taiwan University
   1, Section 4, Roosevelt Road
   Taipei 106, Taiwan
   Email: [log in to unmask]

   Jing-Shin Chang
   Computer Science & Information Engineering
   National Chi-Nan University
   1 University Road, Puli
   Nantou 545, Taiwan
   Email: [log in to unmask]

   Martha Palmer
   Computer & Information Science
   University of Pennsylvania
   200 S. 33rd Street
   Phila. PA 19104-6389, USA
   Email: [log in to unmask]
                            COLING-2002 (Taipei)

        The 19th International Conference on Computational Linguistics

                      24 August  -  1 September, 2002

             Official URL:http://www.coling2002.sinica.edu.tw/
Important Dates:

* Early Registration Deadline: 22, June.

Tutorials: 24 (Sat) - 25 (Sun) August, 2002 (Academia Sinica)
Conference: 26 (Mon) - 30 (Fri) August, 2002 (Howard International House)
Post-Conference Workshops: 31 (Sat) - 1 September, 2002 (Academia Sinica)
URGENT NOTICE:

Last Chance for PRC passport holders to apply for visa to participate in
COLING2002 in Taipei

-Visa application for main conference CLOSED
-Visa application for workshops will be closed on June 21

Due to strict deadline for visa applications of PRC passport holders, it
is no longer possible to apply for visa to arrive in Taiwan by August 23
to participate in the main conference. Although it is still possible to
apply for visa to enter Taiwan on August 30 to participate in the
post-COLING2002 workshops, this application will be closed by June 21
(Friday).

Please alert all potential workshop participants with PRC passports that

a) COLING2002 Organizing Committee cannot process any applicaitons after
the june 21 deadline

b) Actions must be taken immediately for them to apply for visa to
attend COLING2002 workshops, the actions include

1) register immediately (by june 21), and

2) email Ms. Kao immediately ([log in to unmask]) with their
name, email addres, affiliation, and fax number, together with their
confirmed registration of a COLING2002  workshop (by june 21)

3) send the request materials as soon as possible so that they will
arrive in Taiwan by 6/24 the latest (documents that we need hardcopy
include a signed application form, two photos, and proof of employment)