LLTI Archives

June 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:20:09 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from eric eubank <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:35:21 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: eric eubank <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6720 OSX servers & email (TBob)

------------------
Hello,

Not sure if by "mail program" you mean mailserver components.
I assume you do.

Yes, the built-in Apple mail server on OSX Server is problematic. I
gave up on it in early implementations. Relay protection was
non-existent at first, and then, supposedly too restrictive.

The usual alternatives are to configure sendmail for SMTP and qpopper
for POP mail. Sendmail is included. You'll have to compile qpopper,
but doing so is stright-forward (./configure, make and manually copy
the binary. installation instructions are included).

Sendmail just changed in a relatively major way in OSX Server 10.1.5
-- that is, sendmail itself changed to Version 8.12.2. OSX is not to
blame; but on the other hand, sendmail doesn't work out of the box
anymore, either.

You will need follow the directions in /etc/mail/README (in 10.1.5
update) and change some directory permissions to get it going.

As the README indicates, you will have to create and copy a new
sendmail.cf file with a program called m4 -- the usual method of
creating config file w/sendmail. a new version of sendmail.cf is
required with sendmail 8.12.2, and that config file is not included
with the standard installation.

You will also need to add an additional line to the sendmail startup
script, /System/Library/StartupItems/Sendmail/Sendmail, just below
where the current process starts up

   /usr/sbin/sendmail -C /etc/mail/submit.cf -q1h

this starts up an additional process .. sendmail now uses two queues
(one for local and one for non-local mail).

And you will need to set permissions on / to 755, set owner:group on
/var/spool/clientmqueue to "smmsp" and set permissions on
/var/spool/clientmqueue to 770.

---
If this sounds like too much --this is the shorthand version-- a
popular  drop-in replacement for sendmail is Postfix - easier to
configure.

There have been extensive discussions on OSX Server lists recently
about sendmail vs Postfix and relevant changes.

In that regard, Redhat (Linux) recently replaced sendmail with
Postfix in its default installation. sendmail has been historically
something of a bear, and recent changes have made it (even) more so.

Having said that, once it's up, sendmail + procmail (think: remove
spam) amount to a powerful and stable environment. And once you've
done it a few times, it's not that difficult to set up.

But this part of OSX Server admin is pretty much = any other *nix
admin .. which is good or bad, depending on your perspective.

--
e.eubank <[log in to unmask]
university of texas at austin