LLTI Archives

June 2002, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:20:07 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 06:49:20 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6720 OSX servers & email (TBob)
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
I'm not sure I understand your question, Bob. Are you talking about the
client mail application, Mail.app? I wonder since you mention OSX _Server_
and could thus be talking about the mail _server_ application.

The client Mail.app supports SMTP, POP, Imap, and can do SSL for secure
connections to those mail server protocols for secure transfer. I am
unaware of any additional mail protocols that are missing and I currently
use Mail.app for managing mail from 8 different mail accounts using a
mixture of POP, Imap and unix mail. My one wish is that Mail.app would
associate a particular signature with a particular account, but since
there's a pop up in the compose window for selecting which account to send
from as well as to select the signature, it's not really a problem.

As for OSX Server and its mail system, you have two choices there. You can
use the OSX version of Apple's rewritten mail server application from the
Appleshare Server days, which supports POP, Imap, etc, or, you can ditch
it  and use sendmail and other unix tools, most of which are default
installed anyway (it is a unix machine, after all). On one of the three
server boxes that I admin, I've chosen the latter solution and run a
straight unix implementation. IT does involve a bit more set up time, but
results in a standard unix configuration--the internet standard if you
will.

On two other boxes for mail serving, I run CommunigatePro from stalker.com.
  This is an EXTREMELY robust mail solution capable of handling multiple
100,000 client accounts and which runs on virtually every robust operating
system out there. It supports all mail protocols and includes a very nice
web mail application as well. CommunigatePro is used by a number of large
internet service providers for providing mail to their many thousands of
clients as well as multinational corporations.

If you could be more specific as to the complaints that you've heard, I
can probably weigh in with comments, but my only complaint is that I
really wish Mail.app would allow me to associate a specific signature file
with specific accounts.

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 03:14  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> I have heard even from Mac people that the mail program on an OSX
> server is a problem.  Can anyone give me some details on this and, if
> it is so, how they are coping with it, getting around it or fixing
> it.  I know that Mac OSX is supposed to support SMTP, POP and IMAP
> protocals, but not much beyond that.
>
> Before I take the plunge and ditch my old server (I have already half
> set up the new OSX), I need more information.

/david