LLTI Archives

June 2002, Week 2

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:42:39 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 20:59:04 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: TennesseeBob Peckham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6714 What are the credentials or the position of Foreign Language Lab Coordinator?

------------------
Might as well start with someone who has the perfect set of
qualifications.  I coordinate all of the department's technology,
running a networked 26-station multimedia lab, with 3 channels of FL
TV, a COW (computer/video projector on wheels), 6 multi-media carts,
multistanard VCR and DVD, a Linux server (I am switching to OSX,
because I am sick of doing things at shell level), a software
library, management of lab assistants and oversight of 740 use hours
per week in the lab, management of a 40 page departmental web site
and over 120 reasearch web pages.

My perfect qualifications:

3 years as a high-school track and cross-country coach
a PhD in Medieval Literature (philology, not wimpy theory)
lots of experience (27 years) as a language teacher
     I know what students need to learn outside of class
     I know what part of it the lab is capable of accomplishing
     I know what you can get students to do regularly in a lab
a real fear of computers
no fear of trying stuff
adequate communication skills
     I KNOW what teachers want the lab to do for students, cause I ask
     I am very diplomatic with colleagues (including administrators)
self-taught programming and software management skills

All of this has worked out for me, perhaps because not many faculty
here know much about computers (though they are enthusiastic).
However, this year we got lucky and kidnapped two aces who seem to be
tech Einsteins.

By next year, I will probably be doing a lot of dusting, cleaning
headphones, emptying wastebaskets, ..Do you want software with that?

TBob

PS.  I am a center "director" but only because I named myself that.

Look it up in the Andy Holt Virtual Library
http://www.utm.edu/vlibrary/vlhome.shtml
Robert D. Peckham, PhD
Director, the Globe-Gate Project
Director, the Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee-Martin
http://globegate.org/french/globe.html