LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 17:57:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Elke Smith <[log in to unmask]> ---

>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Elke Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 13:06:35 EAST
>Subject: re:#6700 Chinese characters

    Ni hao! From my own experience, it helps to use the similarity of
different characters to remember them. So when studying a new character,
I revise others with similar pronunciations or the same components.
    There is an online computer program that helps you do this, available
from http://zakros.ucsd.edu/~arobert/hanzim.html. As forming associations
between characters aids memorisation, it allows you to call up lists of
characters with similar pinyin or the same components. It will also
display lists of compounds employing a particular character in the first
or second position, so that the relationships between them can be clearly
seen and reinforced.
    Perhaps you could adapt this idea for use in your classroom; as an
activity sheet or regular game?

    I hope this has been useful to you.
    Elke Smith
    University of Tasmania