LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 5

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 17:57:53 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from James Hogg <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

On Friday, May 24, 2002, at 04:22  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from "Sarah Brill" <[log in to unmask]> ---
>
>> From: "Sarah Brill" <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: [log in to unmask]
>> Subject: Chinese characters
>> Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:16:08 +0930
>

> I am currently teaching Chinese1. Some of my students have great trouble
> remembering characters. Does anyone have any creative suggestions that
> might
> help?

Have you seen the book"A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters" by
Kennith G. Henshall (Charles E. Tuttle Company)? He explains how Chinese
characters developed from their earliest forms. There is also a mnemonic
phrase to use to remember what it looks like and what it means. I would
use these for my teaching of the characters so the students are taking
notes in class about the  stroke order and meaning of the characters.
Although the book is titled "Japanese" characters, they are really
Chinese characters. Are you teaching simplified writing or traditional?

Then have them make flash cards for repetition. Quiz them often because
it is a lot work and requires a lot of time, as I'm sure you know.

Good luck, Jim