LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 16:36:52 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 12:22:11 -0700
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum               <[log in to unmask]>
>From: Judi Franz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #6694 Copy-protection crashes computers?

I just now read a blurb about this in the Los Angeles Times:

'Poisoned Pellet' Discourages CD Piracy

Copycats beware! Sony Music has planted a "poisoned pellet" of
software in the European version of Celine Dion's latest CD, "A New
Day Has Come."

Those who attempt to make copies of the disc risk having the optical
drives of personal computers crash and, in some cases, permanently
freeze. Warnings that the discs don't play in computers are on the CD
case and on the discs themselves.

In Europe, fans have found that they can't always eject the discs,
and Apple Computer has issued a warning on its Internet support site
offering tips on dealing with the situation.

A spokeswoman for Sony Music Entertainment told the New York Times
that the discs do no permanent damage to PCs and are part of a
continuing drive in the industry to discourage unauthorized copying.

Though these discs have been distributed only in Europe, she added,
the first tests in the U.S. will begin shortly--starting with promo
discs sent to critics.

Judi Franz
UC Irvine