LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 16:36:46 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from James Hogg <[log in to unmask]> ---

------------------

On Friday, May 17, 2002, at 09:52  AM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> --- Forwarded Message from Dr Jack Burston

>> Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 17:48:10 -0400
>> Subject: Windows XP
>> From: Dr Jack Burston <[log in to unmask]>
>> To: Calico discussion list <[log in to unmask]>,        Language
>> Learning and Technology International Information       Forum
>
> I would specifically like to know
> whether or not it is possible to configure the language and keyboard
> input
> method for a given group of users, e.g. students enrolled in Japanese
> 101.
> I've just been informed by my Apple rep that it's not possible to do
> this
> within OSX (though that could change with Jaguar).

I don't understand what the Apple Rep told you. With OSX you can set up
a user (group) and set up a specific language as system language and set
an input method.

To do this:
1.Set a new user with a password. *De-select "allow user to
administrator this computer."
2. Log in as this new user and open the preferences. Choose
International and select the language you'd like to use. For example
Japanese. Drag Nihongo to the top of the list on the Language Pane.
3. Click on the Keyboard Menu pane and select Kotoeri for the Japanese
input method.

Initially you need to log out and log in again to make these changes.
Now all of the menus will appear in Japanese.

If you don't want to change the entire system to Japanese, you can just
add Kotoeri from the Keyboard Menu pane and then you can type in
Japanese but still have all of the menus in English. When you do this,
you don't need to log out and in to make the change.

You could set up as many users as you'd like and set their preferences
individually. Each needs to log out when finished so a new user, when
logging in will set the computer according to their use.

I hope this helps.

Good luck, Jim