LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 16:36:38 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 14:50:15 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6688.3 Streaming video HELP! (!)
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
To be fair, you're only just barely a tad behind the times...   ;-)

I regularly play video over a wireless link both at home and in the office.
  At home not only is that video limited to just over 10Mbps (from the
wireless base station), it's coming first over a DSL line which is of
course much slower than switched 10 meg ethernet, into a router, then to a
100Mbit switch, then over a 100 meg segment to another 100Mbit switch to a
10 Mbit link to a wireless base station... performance is excellent.
(admittedly I get 8 meg inbound on my DSL line... at off-peak times of day)
.

Details of the above aside, a dedicated 10Mbit client line off a switch is
more than sufficient for video depending upon the number of simultaneous
connections to the server--the bottleneck will be the server's bandwidth.
You would be correct, however, if you were referring to any network using
a _shared_ 10meg segment (eg., using a hub instead of a switch, or a
shared 11meg wireless sharing with more than perhaps one other client
machine).

On Tuesday, May 21, 2002, at 01:22  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> I could be very mistaken and technically out of date but I have not heard
> of
> video operating over a 10Mbps wireless network. Audio, yes. Video
> requires a
> 100Mpbs FastEthernet Network wired or wireless. It makes no difference
> which
> video file type or video player used on client side.
>
> If I am a tad behind the times then please advise.

/david