LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 17:48:55 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from John McVicker <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:08:33 -0400
>From: John McVicker <[log in to unmask]>
>To: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>
>cc: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: #6697 CALL software idea -- exists?

Gabe Webster asks about a program in which "you can import any
existing text into the program (newspaper articles, textbook dialogs,
etc.), and then be able to click on any individual word to get its
pronunciation (probably just written) and meaning" and which "would
allow the user to add words that are missing from the dictionary" I
have been making a Mac-only Hypercard-based program, geared to
English language learning (ESL/EFL), called NewReader since the
mid-90s; it accomplishes some of these goals.

The program imports any text saved as a plain ascii text file (it
doesn't like the hard returns inserted by email and some web
browsers, and these need to be removed) and has a 9,000 word English
language dictionary which includes definition, part of speech, and
example sentence for each entry. It would be easy to add digitized
pronunciation or else synthesis and in fact I worked this simple
problem out early on. But originally I opted not to include it in
NewReader because synthesized pronunciation didn't seem very helpful
for learners, and because the inclusion of digitized samples seemed
an unjustified strain on the limited storage space of the computers
available in the typical school of the day. Perhaps it's time to
re-think that decision given today's increase in hard drive real
estate.

In addition to the features Gabe mentions, NewReader includes an
assortment of paced reading and text-manipulation activities for
language play/practice (14 in the current version) and a
record-keeping system that allows students to print or save to disk a
record of each session. Additionally, teachers can use NewReader to
save or print paper versions of many of the activities. I once worked
out a version for French with some changes to the activities that
reflect differing needs, but I never had a clue as to how to create a
dictionary for it, my command of French being somewhat limited.
NewReader would not, without extensive revision, be workable with
languages based on non-roman writing, but could easily be adapted to
other Euro languages given (ha-ha) enough time.

If you have access to a Mac you may want to check NewReader out. You
can get a demo copy of the program (you get 25 uses before it times
out, and ironically the dictionary is disabled) at:
   http://www.ohiou.edu/esl/other/NR211demo.hqx

John McVicker