LLTI Archives

May 2002, Week 4

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 17:48:50 EDT
--- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:20:08 -0400
>Subject: Re: #6690.1 Windows XP/really OSX (!)
>From: David Herren <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum    <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Of course this works for individual users, but the original question as I
understood it was how to set up a netinfo group such that all members of
that group would inherit the same language preference.

I too believe it can be done, but haven't had a chance to investigate it
any more yet--I do know that none of the gui tools will allow this (though
netinfomanager.app would allow you to edit the netinfo prefs once one
knows what needs to be edited.)

On Wednesday, May 22, 2002, at 04:36  PM, LLTI-Editor wrote:

> I don't understand what the Apple Rep told you. With OSX you can set up
> a user (group) and set up a specific language as system language and set
> an input method.
>
> To do this:
> 1.Set a new user with a password. *De-select "allow user to
> administrator this computer."
> 2. Log in as this new user and open the preferences. Choose
> International and select the language you'd like to use. For example
> Japanese. Drag Nihongo to the top of the list on the Language Pane.
> 3. Click on the Keyboard Menu pane and select Kotoeri for the Japanese
> input method.
>
> Initially you need to log out and log in again to make these changes.
> Now all of the menus will appear in Japanese.
>
> If you don't want to change the entire system to Japanese, you can just
> add Kotoeri from the Keyboard Menu pane and then you can type in
> Japanese but still have all of the menus in English. When you do this,
> you don't need to log out and in to make the change.
>
> You could set up as many users as you'd like and set their preferences
> individually. Each needs to log out when finished so a new user, when
> logging in will set the computer according to their use.

/david